What a week! WOW! I just finished up my first week here in Salem, Oregon and it has been fantastic. I arrived at the YWAM base last Saturday after a 13 hour drive. My mom made the trip with me so I wouldn't end up in Canada or anything since I'm so bad with directions. It was hard to say goodbye to my her when I took her to the airport...her little baby's all grown up. On the ride back to the base reality when I realized I was completely alone. Just me & God. But it's not really like that, the staff here are incredibly nice & my fellow students are so much fun. This really is going to be an experience I'll never forget.
My usual weekly schedule consists of:
7:15-8:30 AM: Wake up, get some breakfast, do devotions.
8:30-10:45: Class (This week Mekeisha Smith Spoke on "Hearing God's Voice & Worship)
10:45-11:00:Break time (Coffee and donated Starbucks baked goods)
1:30-3:00: Class (or Bible Meditation, varies by week)
3:00-5:00: Acts of Service (Childcare, I get to watch Staff's kids, lots of fun)
5:15-7:00: dinner, break time
7:00-whenever: Outreach, The Rising, or Worship
The Monday and Tuesday we spent mostly on introductions. But Tuesday night after a community church service called "The Rising" we went to down town Salem and I had my 1st experience with street evangelizing. I was with Angela & Angie (2 of the staff) & we met these two young women outside of Starbucks. It was really great to get to know them and build a relationship before we shared who we were & what we were about. After speaking with them for about 2 hours, they allowed us to pray with them & we went our separate ways. I think we planted a very nice seed in their hearts.
Wednesday through Saturday we had this really amazing speaker named Mekeisha Smith. She totally rocked my world. Some of the things she talked about:
- Maybe God's not calling us to the spotlight atop the platform, maybe He's calling us to the places no one wants to go.
- God is EXCITED to be with us and talk with us. (The Prodigal Son)
- A poem about understanding the Bible: Read on Read on Read on Read on Read on Read on Read on Read on Read on Read on Read on Read on! :) Nice poem huh?
- Sin & disobedience serves it's greatest purpose in reminding you not to do it again.
- He didn't save me to use me, He saved me because He loves me. Period. That's it.
- Be willing to be the answer to your own prayer.
- It is not God who needs to be convinced to do something, it's me.
- "I believe that God has called enough men & women to reach all the yet unreached tribes of the earth. It is not God who does not call; it's men who will not respond." -Isobel Kuhn
- Knowing God is like trying to hold fir to your chest, you're gonna get burned...but He never said it would be easy, just that it would be worth it.
- Don't ask God to come, He's already there.
- What is God worth to you?
- Love, worship, obey.
- Worship involves sacrifice.
- "A gift without a heart behind it is a bribe. Goad asks for our heart, no our gifts." -Samuel Chadwic
- She also taught about the tabernacle the Lord has Moses build and how it looks today which was AMAZING!
I have a couple prayer requests if you don't mind:
- Please pray for my sister and her car. It won't start yet again & she doesn't exactly have money to drop on a new engine or anything.
- Also pray for me financially. I have $1,200 so far for this whole experience. But the school is $2,900 and the outreach is $3,000. So if you do the math I still have $4,800 to go. I know God will provide, but prayers would be nice. :)
Sorry this is so long, but I had a lot to tell. I'll keep you posted on how things are going and the great works God is doing. I love you & miss you all! God bless!